Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What kind of cheese?

I know very little about cheese but Paris is a city that produces excellent cheese (or so i%26#39;ve heard).





What cheese do you recommend for a newbie - especially in sandwiches? I don;t particularly like moulded cheese but i%26#39;ve tried Camembert, brie, parmesan, mozerella here down under (i don%26#39;t think it would be as good as in paris though).




|||



Well Paris doen not produce cheese, but it is a city where you can find a lot of cheeses in supermarkets. By the way, parmesan and mozarella are italian cheeses, not french, although you can find them in supermarkets.




|||



I%26#39;m not sure which city is the world cheese capital, but when I visited Switzerland, I was amazed by the mind-boggling large selection of cheese available. I%26#39;m not sure about the statistics, but it appears to me that I could try to eat 3 different types of cheese every day, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and after one year, I would still have not tasted one cheese twice. In Paris, I have eaten the simplest baguette sandwiches with just ham and swiss cheese (the one with holes), and I have found them absolutely delicious. I think it%26#39;s not the good cheese, but mainly the freshness of the baguette that makes all the difference. While in Paris, you may try some French herb cheese. There are hundreds of varieties, and I can%26#39;t recall all the names. Part of the fun of traveling, and thrills in life, is experimenting through trials and errors.




|||



In sandwiches, especially with jambon (ham), emmental or gruyere.





I love Compte (the e is an accent-e but TA doesn%26#39;t allow accents - pronounced comb-tay) with a fresh baguette and a nice 4EUR Cote du Rhone for a really cheap picnic lunch.




|||



I heard from a Parisian friend that there are 366 different cheeses in France, one for every day of the year and one more to start the next... or something like that...




|||



De Gaulle used to say it was hard to govern a country where you had as many types of cheese as days in the year!




|||



%26quot;How can you govern a country where there are 246 different cheeses?%26quot; ��� Charles de Gaulle




|||



Thank you for correcting, i didn%26#39;t remember exactly the quote. They have found out since that time that there are actually many more types of cheese in France, even more than the days of the year!!




|||



I was pretty sure there were more than 246 also, but apparently General de Gaulle was not very well informed!





I think if you took into account every fromager artisanal making his/her own special cheeses, especially goats%26#39; milk cheeses, there must surely be many more even than 400!

No comments:

Post a Comment