Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Places to see for 2-3 hours near Gare du Nord

Hi,





We%26#39;ll be leaving Paris via a Eurostar train at 1pm at Gard du Nord. Since our hotel is pretty far (Monparnase) from the station, I think we%26#39;ll check out early in the morning, and take our luggages to Nord.





1. Are there luggage lockers at the Nord? I remember vaguely there were, from my trip to Paris years ago.





2. Any places we should see, that are not far from the Nord, during the 2-3 hours before we got on the train?





Thanks!




|||



YES...there are Left Luggage lockers (Les Consignes) at Gare du Nord. Unless you have some predetermined sites or attraction that you want to see, you could simply exit the station and make your way to the south-east corner out front (to your left as you come out the doors) and take the #42 public bus line from Gare du Nord (the route begins at Gare du Nord), past the grand Garnier Opera House, past the Medeleine Church, though Place de la Concorde, along the lower portion of Champs Elysees, across the Seine and get off at the Eiffel Tower---and than start workin%26#39; your way back in the general direction of Gare du Nord.




|||



Yes, I%26#39;m pretty sure there is still a %26quot;consigne%26quot; at the Gare du Nord. If I am wrong I don%26#39;t doubt I will be swiftly corrected.





The closest %26quot;sights%26quot; to the Gare du Nord are the sacre Coeur and Place du tertre in Montmartre.





The RER will take you in two stops to St-Michel, with the Latin Quarter and the islands within a couple of minutes walk. (The Cluny museum is delightful if you think you will have enough time. It%26#39;s quite small...)





But what I think I would do is take a stroll a few blocks to the Canal St. Martin and then go for a wander along it. It%26#39;s worth exploring and you should find a pleasant cafe to have a last grand creme or un p%26#39;tit verre...




|||



The only place not so far from Gare du NOrd would be Montmartre hill, you take metro line number 2 from Gare du NOrd and get off at Anvers, then walk up the stairs or take the funicular with another metro ticket or metro pass. It should take you 45 minutes to reach the top of the hill.




|||



Thank you both for your great suggestions!





I think I%26#39;ll leave the Monmartre at last then. If I don%26#39;t have time to go, I%26#39;ll simply pop over there. Otherwise, I%26#39;ll do the bus thing.




|||



Ooops, I meant, thank you all 3 of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment