Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Canal St. Martin - The Highlight of My Trip

Just got back Friday afternoon (got a bonus because my Thursday flight was cancelled). This is my third trip to Paris this year, so I decided to do something a little different. I took the canal cruise starting at the Bassin de Villette (Jaures metro stop) down to Arsenal Marina (Bastille).





Wonderful!





What I liked most about it that it was relaxing and I got a chance to get off my feet for 2 1/2 hours. It is a slow cruise going through about 8 double locks. You pass through (and under) some of the most charming neighborhoods in Paris. It is just so relaxing and calming. And, as you cruise down the canal passing through the locks, the Parisians come out to watch your boat pass through their neighborhood.





It was the PERFECT break from the crowds and excitement of Paris.




|||



Next time walk from the Arsenal towards La Villette and end your walk at Les Buttes Chaumont, you will love the experience.




|||



Sounds lovely and since you said %26#39;relaxing%26#39; am I correct in assuming it wasn%26#39;t jam packed? What was the ticket price? Does it stop at particular points where one can get on or off? Looking forward to doing this next time...




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Sounds lovely and since you said %26#39;relaxing%26#39; am I correct in assuming it wasn%26#39;t jam packed? What was the ticket price? Does it stop at particular points where one can get on or off? Looking forward to doing this next time...%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





To the best of my knowledge, neither of the tour operators who off a Canal Saint Martin cruises offer you the option of debarking from the boats along the route. You can ride in one direction or the other and then walk back along the canal route, but that%26#39;s it. Taking the boat from the Seine, north to La Villette and then walkning back probably offers the most options for touring the neighborhoods along the route.





PARIS CANAL--



http://www.pariscanal.com/



CANAUXRAMA--



http://www.pariscanal.com/




|||



pixfield -





Glad to get your feedback on Canal St. Martin.



It was already on my list for this September.



Also appreciative of the posters responses,



they add a personal touch to the other



material available.




|||



They do not give you the option of getting on or off.





It was NOT jam packed which is why I am even a little bit reluctant to reveal this little treat.





Most of the Parisians were not Americans.





It costs $14.





I was surprised that no refreshments were available. Bring a sandwich and a bottle of wine with you.





Here is the link: http://www.canauxrama.com/e_index.html




|||



I tried the ride with both companies, they offer pretty much the same services at aout the same price. For someone who wants to see a part of Paris that still looks like the 40%26#39;s, it is a must. As I said in a previous answer, walk it also from Place de la Republique. There is an itinerary in Michelin%26#39;s green guide for Paris. I did some it and then headed for Les Buttes Chaumont then towards Belleville (remeber The Triplettes?). Long walk but sooo nice. You really get the feel of the city.




|||



Pixfield,


Sounds idyllic. My husband and I leave for Paris in 10 days. Do I have to book this in advance or can tickets be purchased at departure?


Which boat were you on - the Arletty or Marcel Carne?


Thanks for the tip about food and drink.




|||



I was reading my comment where I said %26quot;Most of the Parisians were not Americans. %26quot; Well, of course!





What I meant to say is that %26quot;Most were Parisians, not Americans%26quot;.




|||



A couple of more comments:





Sit in front of the boat, not on top or inside. If it is a sunny day wear sunscreen and a hat (although I rarely see Parisians wearing hats).





I boarded 20 minutes before the scheduled departure and I got a nice seat in the third row.





1 km of the trip is through a tunnel. It can get chilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment