Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Three top restaurants: Which would you pick?

Hot off the press is Patricia Wells%26#39; review of La Table de Joel Robuchon, Le Pre Catelan. and Pierre Gagnaire. I love the way Ms. Wells writes about food - so straightforward, and yet you get a complete picture without any of the pretentious nonsense some restaurant critics seem to find necessary.





No doubt Pierre Gagnaire is at least arguably the best of the best in Paris today, but I confess that the description of La Table in this article made my mouth water more than the other two did.





I thought it was worth posting the link in light of the recent thread on 2 and 3 rosette restaurants:





www.patriciawells.com/reviews/iht/iht.htm





Any comments from anyone else? And in particular what does anyone who has been there think of La Table?






|||



Hey IrishRovr...I bumped this back to the top because I%26#39;m interested as well. I also really like Patricia Wells...we ate at several of her recommends and were never disappointed. She%26#39;s usually right on in her descriptions - oohh, this next trip is going to be a food lovers%26#39; feast!!




|||



Well if i find a rich man inviting me to the three, i will tell you which one i prefer, otherwise i can%26#39;t afford even one of the three, i%26#39;am afraid... ;)




|||



Raphy-





I 2nd that! Although- if I had a rich man taking me to any of them- I would not choose a favorite- I would LOVE them all!





I am in the %26quot;can%26#39;t afford them%26quot; catagory- but would love to hear others thoughts on them as well!




|||



maybe we should all meet up at one of these places :)




|||



Your treat?





:%26gt;)




|||



well now that mba school is over - now the next mission is to find a person to share my life with and for her to share hers :)




|||



My appreciation :





Gagnaire : the most creative one, by far the best one as IrishRovr said. I%26#39;m not fluent enough in English nor in French to explain.





Pre Catelan : very traditionnal cuisine, what you miss in creativity is compensated by the very good quality. No surprise, but tastefull.



The building itself is really lovely, a former XVIIIth century manor right in the middle of the Bois de Boulogne. Really nice these days, when the sun is hot in Paris (of course, here is a terrasse under the trees).. A hit for the most conservatives gourmet of us.





Robuchon : if Robuchon himself is a pure genius, sometimes his pupils can take a ride in extravaganza to a point that can be bothering (for me at last). So if you put aside their Barnum Circus about decorum and how to impress the client, the food itself is always surprizing (in a positive way), we%26#39;re not talking creativity here, but more about experimentation!





(note to Raphy : sorry i%26#39;m not rich!)




|||



In fact i%26#39;ve reread what I said and an idea came up to my mind.





If the restaurants were actors, then :





Robuchon would be Johnny Depp





Gagnaire would be Russell Crowe





Pre Catelan would be Anthony Hopkins




|||



I%26#39;d be fine with any one of the three....




|||



I%26#39;d be fine with any one of the three....

No comments:

Post a Comment