Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How much is carte orange?

I am arriving Tuesday morning, which carte orange I should get? I only want it for Paris (zone 1%26amp;2 (?) Leaving the following week on Thursday, most likely, taking some day trips, I am not sure when yet.





How much are different carte orange? Also, how are they used in buses vs. metro trains? I read somwhere that some tickets need to be kept until you leave the station, which are those?





Thanks.




|||



If the bulk of your travel is going to be within central Paris, then all you need is are weekly CARTE ORANGE passes for Zones 1-2. This covers ALL Metro/RER/Bus transportation within ALL of the city of Paris--and a bit beyond in places.





The CARTE ORANGE pass comes in three(3) parts: a photo ID card (you must provide the head-shot photo); a RE-USEABLE Metro/RER ticket stub and a plastic carry-case/wallet to hold the card and ticket.





When you ride the Metro or RER you insert the re-useable ticket in the turnstile and then REMEMBER to retrieve it from the turnstile when you pass through. If you looose this re-useable ticket stub, the Metro/RER portion of the pass will be gone--no replacement/no refund.



BUT...when using a public bus ALL you do is display the photo ID card to the driver as you board. You *** DO NOT *** DO NOT *** DO NOT *** insert your re-useable ticket stub in the validator machines on public buses. If you do, the machine will IN-validate your ticket and the Metro/RER portion of your CO will be gone--No replacements/No refunds. You%26#39;re outta%26#39; luck.





Because the Metro/RER ticket is re-useable AND you will make CERTAIN to retrieve it after EVERY use, you will always have it on you to show to any RATP inspectors who occasionally (infrequently) ask to see your ticket and insert again in any control gates/turnstiles that require you to insert your ticket as you leave some stations.




|||



hello





carte orange.



zone 1-2 (enough for Paris) : 15.4 euros (week), 50,40 (month)



zone 1-4 (Paris + Versailles) :25.2 ; 82.6



zone 1-5 (Paris + CDG) : 30.2 ; 99.1



bye




|||



Thanks for the info.





KDKSAIL, there is never enough %26quot;DO NOTS%26quot; for such an important info. I do not assume that the bus driver would have stopped me from invalidating the ticket and even if he/she did, I would not understand it anyway. So I only insert it on the trains?




|||



Embarrassing truth be told, it happened to me once and was made worse by the fact that it wasn%26#39;t my first time in Paris or the first time I%26#39;d used the Carte Orange for Metro, RER or busses. I simply boarded a bus (I%26#39;d evidently sent my brain out to be sponged %26#39;n pressed and it hadn%26#39;t come back from the cleaner%26#39;s yet) reached into my pocket, grabbed the ticket stub and stuck it into the machine. It wasn%26#39;t until I got to a seat at the back of the bus and was in the process of putting the ticket stub back into the slot in the plastic Carte Orange carry-case/wallet that I%26#39;d realized what I%26#39;d done. Luckily, my wife, who was just ahead of me had simply displayed her pass, so we din%26#39;t %26#39;lose%26#39; both. S__tuff happens.




|||



KDKSAIL,





How often do you go to Paris? You seem to know a lot about it.





I was there only once, 20 years ago for 2 days and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I had been chased by 2 shady characters on some deserted street off Champs Elysees, literally running, until I saw a guard next to some embassy, stood next to him until 2 morons left.



I stayed in some whole in the wall, had to wash under a sink (shower room was closed in the morning and evening) and it was raining for the most of the time.





Now I am going with my husband and 17 year old son and want to get it right, hence all research.





Thanks for the fair warning about the tickets. I am sure I will have a brain surge for something else that I nned to know.





As always, counting on help from a fellow Brooklynite (you can take a man out of Brooklyn, but you can not take Brooklyn out of the man)




|||



Truth be told, I%26#39;m a little embarrassed by the designation as %26#39;..local expert..%26#39;. I%26#39;m neither %26#39;local%26#39; nor %26#39;expert%26#39;.





Many years ago I had a friend who worked for the NYC Planning Commission. This man had been born and raised on Manhattan--but in his adult years, thanks to an invitation from his government for an all expense paid tour of Europe (it was a tour gorup called WW II) he spent a fair amount of time touring across Europe with the USAAF. After the tour, he decided to remain behind and re-build some of what he had been so careful to knock down and was based and make his home in Paris for another decade.





He knew many of the world%26#39;s cities intimately well (from both extensive and frequent professional an personal travel--I understand that he and his wife kept their apartment near the Place de Tern, in Paris until he died sometime in the early 1980s)..but his %26#39;..love..%26#39; was still NYC..and he seemed to know EVERYTHING about it--all five boroughs (and probably large portins of the bottoms of the East and Hudson Rivers) I once asked him how he got to be such an %26#39;..expert..%26#39; on NYC and his response was, %26quot;..Kid, I%26#39;m no expert...and if anyone tells you that they%26#39;re an %26#39;..expert..%26#39;; they%26#39;re full of s___...%26quot;. He philosophy (born of experience) was that with any great city, there%26#39;s simply too much to know, and too much that changes, too quickly. No sooner than you learn something new, something old changes. One of his theories was that it%26#39;s enough to be able to get around from place to place and be able to find a good, cheap meal at 3 AM.I can get around Paris pretty well...but I%26#39;ve yet to find that 3 AM meal.




|||



It is commandible that a person can be that much interested in one/any of the cities to know it so well. NYC for me is a true home, but I was born in USSR and left it with my family many years ago. I went back 2 years ago, for the first time, and kept thinking %26quot;God Bless America%26quot; because what I left behind was nothing like what I have now.





I can be a decent NYC guide, I know what I like and what might appeal to others that are visiting. I think the city is so overwhelming that whenever I see tourists in Manhattan, I can feel their bewilderment, but it does not have the history and majesty of Rome or London or Paris or Moscow. I love traveling to Europe and do it every few years when I can. I could not live there anymore, because I have a true American outlook on life.





See, when others call you a %26quot;computer%26quot; they underestimate the depth of your interest and commitment to something that you enjoy. I know many people that have never traveled out of the country, except to Canada and Carribean. I always tell them: you are missing out! If I ever had enough money and time, this is all I would be doing ..





No comments:

Post a Comment