Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Just back! Some reviews and tips....

Wow, I can%26#39;t believe its over! Thanks for everyone%26#39;s help-my trip was a success! Here is a brief overview od my trip-feel free to email me with any questions.





-We bought a 3day museum pass (could have used a 5 day-worth it!)



-We also bought a 5 day metro pass. We ended up walking everywhere, so if you are a walker, I recommend buying a 10-use booklet. By the way, we my mother , who is 58 and isn%26#39;t used to alot of exercise, did perfectly fine! If you do use the metro, hold onto your ticket -you will need it to get out of the station at your stop.



-Be prepared for last minute extra charges (bathrooms, etc...)



-Make sure to pack lunches/sandwiches...this is a great way to save money and the sandwiches are great!!!



-Everyone is SUPER friendly--people actually stopped to ask us if we needed help!





ITINERARY:





Tuesday:



-Arrived at CDG and took cab to hotel. WARNING: Some cabbies round UP when giving final fare--my fare was 46 and he quoted me 50 (I didn%26#39;t realize it and added a small tip in addition...oops!)



-Checked in at Claude Bernarde--couldn%26#39;t have found a nicer hotel! The staff is warm, friendly, helpful. I was expecting a tiny little room (triple) but it was definately big enough. We even had a cute little balcony. After the first night, we were told that an even larger room was availabe if we wanted it. Bathrooms were modern and clean.



-Walked over to St. Chappelle and Notre Dame...very close to hotel. In fact, almost everything is in walking distance.



-Had dinner in cute area near St. Germain. There are MANY affordable, yummy places to eat! I also became addicted to cheese!





WED



-Arc De Triumphe (Climb to top-its worth the view!)



-Walked Champs -Elysees (if you are used to 5th avenue in NYC or anything like that , this road is not that impressive, but its a great way to walk to the louvre.)



-Louvre at night. If you can go on a night its open late, I highly recommend it. The crowds are gone! BTW, there is a separate enterance for museum pass holders, but it closes at 6:30!





Thurs:



-Pompidou (2 floors were closed for special exhibits, so check ahead!)



-Nap (we wore ourselves out!)



-Eiffel Tower at night. The very top closes at 9:30, so we were only able to get to second landing....





Friday:



Versailles



-This was NOT as good as I remembered it 10 years ago. In fact, I would have totally skipped it all together. The train is very direct. We went to gardens first and paid the extra 3 euros to get in (only to find out later its free after 5) Also rented a golf cart in attempts to view more. However, its 20 euros for 1 hr and they give you a map which you must follow. There is no possible way you can get through the whole thing in one hour-a money trap!!!! The building itself was very confusing and everything was an extra n amout of euros (including bathrooms of course!) I knew the hall of mirrors would be closed, but was disappointed in the whole thing.





-Seine River Cruise...This was the best! Get there early to get good seats! Also bring some wine and cheese aboard and try to get there for sunset! I would NOT recommend passing this up!!!!





Sat:



-Musee d%26#39;orsay -not too bad for a Saturday



-shopping on St. Germain and crepes



-packed/early to bed for plane to Italy!




|||



Good to hear you enjoyed it, but i can%26#39;t believe it when you say you would have skipped Versailles, i go there very often and everytime i am amzed at how beatiful it is! in order not to have to pay for each different parts, you can buy a day-pass!



As for the boat, i would not recommend people to bring a bottle of wine, i don%26#39;t think it is permitted to drink alcohol on board...




|||



im suprised about versailles too



i didnt spend extra on carts or things.. but i did get the %26quot;full day pass%26quot; for access to everywhere, and thought it was worth it



and walked ALOT and was tiring, but very nice to see





but glad u enjoyed everything else




|||



Regarding Versailles: We were only in Paris for 5 days, which is why I would have passed on it. Given the fact there is SO much in Paris itself, I would have preferred to stay in the city. Don%26#39;t get me wrong, if you have the extra time, its not a horrible thing to see! I just wouldn%26#39;t put it on a must do list. We used our museum pass at Versailles, but that only covered the main part. We paid extra for garden, audio tours (to be expected) and Kings chambers.





(BTW. Food and drink was allowed on the river cruise)




|||



Could you give a little more detail on the Claude Bernard. Have heard and read mixed reviews (both here and in other publications) on the cleanliness, etc. I have tentative reservations there but was thinking of changing. Do you have photos of the hotel, rooms, etc.? Thanks.




|||



I had a hard time deciding on a hotel, but the Claude Bernard was just what I wanted. Like I said, there were 3 of us and the triple room was not big in US standards, but for 3 women and their suitcases, it was plenty! There was ample closet space, a small tv, refrigerator and hair dryer. The bathroom looked newly done, all white and clean! The tub/shower was spotless and there was great water pressure/heat. We were on the 5th floor (but there is a lift if your feet are tired). We had a wrap-around balcony from which we had a great view of the city! When a larger room opened up, we took it and still had a balcony, but it wasn%26#39;t as large. I only wish we had more time to spend sitting out on it at sunsets! There was one night (I think it was Friday) when the street got a bit noisy. I didn%26#39;t notice, as I am used to noise, but it bothered my mother a bit.



The staff couldn%26#39;t be friendlier. They helped us with our bags, were patient with our french, and gave great advice. Breakfast was OK-bread, croissants, jelly, yogurt, cereal, coffee/tea, juice. Not worth the extra 11 euros, but we had a package in which it was included. Accross the street there is a patisserie for coffee and goodies. In the evening you can bring it back to your hotel and eat in the foyer (they don%26#39;t mind). This is good, since you always have to pay more at places to eat at their tables.



The hotel is 1-2 blocks from Metro AND bus., but like I said, we did alot of walking. Notre Dame is 5 minutes away by foot and you can cross the river in about 15 minutes. There is a market around the corner for fresh fruit, etc....


Also, like I said, we were in a great area for cheap eats (but good!!!) 3 Course meals were usually 15-17 euros in the area.



I do not have photos of our room, but one of balcony and front of building. If you want to email me so I can send them to you feel free: jprishwalko@msn.com



Also, let me know if you have any other questions....




|||



One more thing. The hotel by no means is a 5 star hotel...you are getting what you pay for. That means that there was some wear and tear on carpeting, etc, but cleanliness was not a problem. My mother would not have tolerated it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment