Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Rue Saint Louis en l'Ile (4th) or 154 Rue du Temple (3rd)?

Promise, last question for me regarding location. Locals...which would you personally choose?




|||



I%26#39;m not a local, but without hesitation I%26#39;d pick the rue St-Louis-en-l%26#39;Ile, all other things being equal. It is right in the middle of the Ile St. Louis, as filled with charm as almost any street in Paris, and very central to everything.





The other address is much less central, and in a less interesting area. Its only advantage that I can think of is that it is closer to the Oberkampf nightlife scene...




|||



I second Irish%26#39;s recommendation.




|||



Marais for young, fun, full of energy... especially for the Jewish and gay crowd.



The Ile for the quaint, romantic, charming, %26quot;Parisian%26quot; feel.




|||



I would agree with the Rue Saint Louis en I%26#39;lle enthusiasts. I have stayed in all but one of the hotels on that street and am staying at the third one this summer. I wouldn%26#39;t stay in any other part of Paris!




|||



i would stay rue du temple because it%26#39;s not too far from rue des francs bourgeois (i mean the 154 rue du temple) and all the little streets in the marais. i don%26#39;t know really rue du temple, more the streets near francs-bourgeois, but i suppose it%26#39;s the same style. ile st louis is really beautiful also, but not many shops like in the marais, less restaurants (i love place du marche st catherine but during the summer, when some people come tomake spectacles). if you are young, rue du temple, if you are less young ile st louis.




|||



phread -





I think 154 rue du Temple is fairly far north in the 3rd, about where the rue du Temple and rue de Turenne intersect.





Correct me if I am wrong, but that is a bit away from the lively parts of the Marais, is it not?




|||



Just a note of thanks to everyone for their help we really appreciate your individual input. We have decided the rue saint louis was probably the best way to go because we are on our honeymoon, even though the Rue du Temple apartment was tempting. If you are interested here are the links to the 2 diff apartments....





Temple:



paristay.com/fiche/…VSS_paris_apartment.html



St Louis: paristay.com/fiche/…VSS_paris_apartment.html




|||



Irishrover,



The idea of being a bit far away from the action of the Marais is relative... two blocks from some of the best contemporary art gallery hopping in the city and four from the crowds of the Marais. I prefer being near the thick of the things, but not to the point where I open my door to the masses, so it would suit me, but I know that it is not for everyone.





Bambino,



The Ile St Louis is the perfect choice for honeymoon.




|||



As all the Parisians, I say rue du Temple is better. You can find a lot of restaurants, museums, jewish and gay areas,...





But, just a small tip : go to Rue st Louis en L%26#39;ile and taste the Most wonderful ice cream of Paris : Glaces Berthillon. You can find it everywhere in the street and it is very very delicious !





Regards




|||



I absolutely understand why all the resident Parisians are voting for the rue du Temple, while the visitors are tending to vote for the rue St-Louis-en-l%26#39;Ile.





phread explained it exactly when she said that she liked being close to a lively area but not right in the middle of it. I think many visitors think of this perhaps a little differently. We are thinking only in the short term. We will be there only a week or two perhaps, and so stepping out of our hotel (providing that it is at least quiet) into a busy, lively scene is exciting. To someone who thinks in terms of living there that would probably quickly get on one%26#39;s nerves.





My thinking was that the Ile is almost as close to the Marais as the upper end of the rue du Temple (I know it is not quite...) and I love the walk between the two and across the Marais. But I certainly understand the other point of view.





And now that Bambino has finally come clean and told us that this is a honeymoon trip, I think the rue saint-Louis is the PERFECT choice!





Have a wonderfully happy honeymoon, bambino, and an even happier marriage!!

No comments:

Post a Comment