Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paris Alone, Overwhelmed, Help PLease read

Just checking if anyone going to paris at the same time I am. June 8 -16. Maybe can meet in Paris. This is my First trip to Europe. A little scared, know very little French. I tried to learn. It is a very hard language. Plus still looking for a place to stay, budget 30Euro. I guess have to be Hostels. I was going to rent a room from a couple I found on Craigslist, But I ask to many question of the couple. I am coming from American So I thought I would feel more comfortable seeing a photo of them, I send them mine. They said asking them for a photo is like asking a hotel to send photos of their employees you can%26#39;t decide if person is good or bad by a photo. So I let that go, then I ask for their full name so My parent could have a name. The said no I don%26#39;t need that. That I need to learn to be more trusting and they felt sorry for me. SO THIS IS NOW STRESSING ME, Am I that crazy non trust American. Is thing really that open don%26#39;t ask question of each other?





I am going on a study abroad trip in photography to Italy May 24 until June 8. then I decide to take myself to Paris. Now I feeling overwhelmed. Help! talk me through this. Thanks




|||



Dont worry- you will be fine! I just went to Paris alone not knowing much French for 10 days. I was fine, I had a blast and I would do it all again....alone!





Let me know if you have any specific questions. Check out my trip report that I have been writing in daily installments





Robin




|||



This page might help you with places to stay:





http://www.paris.org/Accueil/Foyers/





Be sure to google any place you are interested in and look for reviews and comments. Some of the Paris hostels do not have such a great reputation for comfort and cleanliness.





The prices on this page are obviously out of date, and some of the other info may be also.





Down towards the bottom of the page you will find the Maisons des Clubs UNESCO. This place can be recommended if they have a vacancy for your dates, and if they are within your budget. I%26#39;m sure there are other possible options also.





Don%26#39;t worry! I think you%26#39;ll be fine with the help of all the good folk here.





Good luck!




|||



This 1-star hotel is quite well-known, perhaps they have available rooms.



eurocheapo.com/paris/…tiquetonne.asp



If you search here on %26quot;Ticquetonn%26quot; you should be able to find other posts...




|||



dropped an %26#39;e%26#39; - it%26#39;s Ticquetonne




|||



Dear boocat, the first time I went to Paris by myself, I was a bit scared, too -- but I found the city to be very easy. I had a great time alone, although I did meet people here and there --met a couple of Canadian guys and had a great evening with them in Montmartre. Their French was great, which was handy.





I stayed in a one-star hotel -- it was absolutely fine in terms of being clean and safe -- it was $40 but it was in a fabulous location a block from the Seine and a block from Place St Michel -- if I leaned out my window I could see the Seine! I%26#39;d give you the name except that it was turned into a luxury hotel a few years ago. %26lt;sigh%26gt;





My point is this: I simply went to the tourist information center -- there%26#39;s an office in every train station -- and told them I wanted a cheap room near Notre Dame, and they sent me to the cute little hotel. It was clean and cheap cheap cheap.





The hotel had one star because there was no restaurant on site, no ensuite bathrooms (bath and showers are down the hall), no air conditioning, etc. But it was an approved, rated hotel, so it was clean and nice -- simply no frills of any kind. It did include a continental breakfast, which most hotels do -- coffee and a hard roll, a croissant, butter and jam.





You could stay more cheaply if you%26#39;re willing to be distant from the center of the city -- which is a good way to save because the Metro will take you anywhere in a hurry.





By the way -- I must confess that you don%26#39;t sound at all like a native-speaking American. You have too many of the classic speech patterns of someone who has learned English as a second language. For example: %26quot; ... I decide to take myself to Paris.%26quot;





I%26#39;ve taught English as well as English as a second language, and all Americans I know would say %26quot;I decided to go to Paris -- not %26quot;I decide to take myself to Paris%26quot; -- So either you%26#39;re not a native American OR your writing or keyboarding was especially hurried.





I mention this simply because the writing was so startlingly non-American in style despite the assertion of being American, so I was concerned about those who might agree to meet up with you. If I%26#39;m off the mark, please accept my sincere apologies.




|||



THanks for info.



what does 20 m2 studios mean I don%26#39;t understand the 20m2 part?




|||



I was born in USA Mississippi, the south that could have someting to do with it. Now live in Baltimore. Plus I was typing fast and I am Very stress right now. I leave in two days for Italy and wanted to get this set up before I left. And not everyone is perfect in their grammer. I just didn%26#39;t take the time to proof read my message. I guess that is the teacher in you. I am a native American.




|||



Boocat, Paris is not to be missed so relax and enjoy!



I also wondered about your english so don%26#39;t think are being ganged up on, your not, I do understand about the proof reading thing though. ( ps I am most definately NOT a teacher LOL)



There are many places to get names of cheap places to stay, I personally would avoid staying with a couple and stick to finding a hostel or commerical hotel. That couple should have had no problem giving you their full name, that is a bit wierd.



Anyways have fun and try not to worry too much, avoid seedy areas at night , just like you would in any big AMERICAN city and you will be fine!




|||



Hi Boocat - just relax and enjoy Paris - it will all work out fine!





20m2 means the size of the apartment - it%26#39;s twenty square metres. Not really big - but you will only want to sleep there because you%26#39;ll be out exploring all day!





Have a fantastic time - just remember to smile and say a quiet %26quot;bonjour%26quot; and %26quot;merci%26quot; and %26quot;au revoir%26quot;. The French really appreciate that - don%26#39;t worry about any more French.





Have a fantastic time and please post a report to us on your experiences.





Sandra




|||



Hello boocat,





When you get to Paris you might want to check on some of the hotels you have found that have cheaper rooms. In Europe it is almost expected that you look at a room before you make a commitment to rent it. So look it over first then decide. If you dont like it try another.





Of course the trick is to have some to look at, so get yourself a list if you can. Check what is listed in some of the guide books at the library or book stores, if you havent already. If all else fails you might get a hostel for one night and then look around for something else....(make sure your belongings are safe in a hostel). Be sure to ask anyone you meet who speaks English if they have any suggestions where you might stay. You should find lotsa other young Americans in Paris and many of the French speak English, especially younger ones. Maybe someone in your photo course could also help you about Paris...





As to size of a room. I think a 20m room is about 160 square feet.........roughly....maybe very roughtly. Also I dont know if they still have room reservations available in the railroad stations...........used to but dont know if that is still true. While all are not %26quot;top drawer%26quot;, there are many, many cheaper places to stay in Paris...........One without a jon in the room or no elevator will be less expensive. Always skip the breakfast unless somehow they include it in the rate.





We used to go everywhere without reservations and sometimes with no idea where to look when we got to a city. Often we would get really nice places, sometimes not so great, sometimes a little more expensive than we wanted to pay but usually at least ok.





Try to relax and just make sure if you should get into a problem you can splurge on your first night.





Have fun...tis the thrill of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment