Thursday, March 29, 2012

an inside joke: need to translate into French, please

It is an inside joke that is a part of the famous Russian book %26quot;12 Chairs%26quot;, please help with translation: a person that was begging for money said: %26quot;Sir, I have not eaten for 6 days%26quot;





Please translate into French.





Thanks.




|||



%26quot;Monsieur, je n%26#39;ai pas mange depuis 6 jours%26quot;. But i must be miising something here, i didn%26#39;t get the joke




|||



Raphy,





You need to read the book I was referring to to get this joke. It takes too long to explain and may not seem funny, unless you read the book.





Thanks for the translation, I appreciate it very much :-)




|||



Sorry, Raphy. 6 is %26quot;sis%26quot;? How do you pronounce this phrase, if you could?





Thanks again.




|||



In this sentence, six is pronounced %26quot;see%26quot; (see joor) because the following letter is a consonant. But if the following letter was a vowel, you would pronounce %26quot;seez%26quot; (depuis %26quot;seez%26quot; annees for example).



When six is alone (when you count down for example) it has to be pronounces %26quot;seess%26quot;.



I did not realized it was so complicated before today!!




|||



I read the book and we also have an inside joke that includes this phrase! I guess after all I do know one French phrase!




|||



Natasha,





This is about extent of my French as well, at least we will be able to explain that we need something to eat. I am petrified that my husband will decide to use this phrase on the waiter in one of the fancy restaurants we are planning to visit. He already tried to do this when we went to Montreal and, needless to say, it did not go over very well. When are you going to be in Paris? We will be there from August 9th to August 18th.





Anneparis and Raphy thanks, even though you are not familiar with Russian literature, %26quot;12 Chairs%26quot; is a classic satire and this phrase was used by one of the main characters and was hillarious in books content.





Thanks again.






|||



Right dates , wrong month -- we will be there from Sept 9 through Sept 15.



I am pertrified as well that my husband will use this phrase!




|||



I am going to tell my husband that if he absolutely must say it, to wait until we are done eating. I do not want to think that the waiter dropped something extra into my food, just to create an insider joke of his own :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment