Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Msg for Rj100 re the Romeo & Juliet ballet tickets

Hi RJ





Always happy to help someone get to the ballet but unfortunately you are currently arriving in Paris too late to see it. The last tickets available are for the 13th July!! (Wouldn%26#39;t it be great if you could alter your travel dates to see R%26amp;J performed in Paris!!).





I have put the two useful links below nonetheless. The Paris Opera web site is first and once inside if you click on Saison 2004-05 you will then see all the opera, ballet and concert dates. There%26#39;s a ballet of works by Roland Petit until 16 July but from thereon it seems that the Paris Opera season is over until the 2005-06 season commences around September.





If you do progress through to the reservations area you get an option to use English. I felt more comfortable booking and paying using English but you can get started in French pretty easily as the classic ballets and operas are readily recognisable. Once you%26#39;re offered specific seats you can click on a little eye icon and see a photograph of the view of the stage from your seat!!! I did this many times on different nights and then cancelled the booking, repeating the process until I got the seats I wanted. Good fun!! I elected to pick up my tickets at the box office prior to the performance as I don%26#39;t trust the French mail to find me in Australia in time!! The system gives you a receipt and booking number to print out. The seats are going fast so anyone else reading this who wants to go should move as quickly as possible.





The second web site link below should take you straight to R%26amp;J on the fnac spectacles pages - another place that you can buy the tickets. If you search around a bit in the fnac site you see all the other ballets in other French towns and it seems that a few tour the south for the summer (not R%26amp;J though). If you%26#39;re also going to other parts of France as well this might be an option.





And for others reading, I believe that the very cheap seats to operas and ballets can be bought in person upon arrival. Others might confirm this. These seats may not have good views. For such a classics like Romeo and Juliet, staged in Paris in peak summer tourist season, I decided not to count on any seats being available upon our arrival.





There%26#39;s also probably more info way back on the forum on Opera tickets in general if anyone wants to search. I had so much fun learning how to book I thought I%26#39;d give you all the details for those wondering how.





Good luck!







http://www.opera-de-paris.fr/







www.fnacspectacles.com/ficheManifestation.do…




|||



I%26#39;m so disappointed! I would have loved to see the ballet. My daughter just got en pointe 6 months ago and she will be heart broken. We always seem to travel in off-season for ballet.



Can you tell me about Roland Petit? I will try to get tickets for the 16th.



Thanks,



rj




|||



A daughter in ballet class and en pointe? Well I don%26#39;t think you have a choice (lol)! You must surely take her to see reputedly the world%26#39;s best company at the historic Opera Garnier (where Phantom of the Opera was set), regardless of the ballet!!!





I don%26#39;t know much about this ballet apart from what I pick my way through on line in French. It seems that it is three different works choreographed by Roland Petit. I like collections of different works because the scenes and styles change so much from one to the other. The three works are L%26#39;Arlesienne; Le Jeune Homme de Mort and Carmen. I%26#39;ve seen Carmen. Its great. Dramatic and passionate and a more up to date classical style (that is, not what I call the old 19th century %26#39;run run run point, run run run arabesque%26#39; style). Music is by Bizet and Bach.





Why don%26#39;t you print out the web pages and let your daughter ask her ballet teacher for an opinion??? That might be interesting!





The choice you have is whether or not to book in advance. The tickets range from 20 to 80 euros if booked on-line but it seems that the cheapies at 6, 7, or 10 euros will be available in person at the ticket office from up to 14 days ahead. However you wont be able to try this until the 15th upon arrival.





There are GREAT sketches of the two theatre%26#39;s interiors and locations of these seats that can help you see why some are cheaper than others. Once in the Opera de Paris site select the word %26#39;Abonnements%26#39; from near the top, then choose %26#39;Prix des places et plans du salle%26#39; from the list just underneath the photograph. Of the three diagrams, make sure you are looking at the diagram for ballets at the Garnier. The seating plans seems to differ for operas at the Garnier and the Bastille house is a totally different layout of course. The colour codes are handy as they use them in the booking pages too so you can just remember which class you would like to buy according to its colour.





I%26#39;m so interested in it now that I think I%26#39;ll try for cheap tickets once I arrive in Paris and see this as well as R%26amp;J. It did disappoint me that I wouldn%26#39;t see the historic Opera Garnier when I go to see Romeo and Juliet, although I%26#39;m told that as a more modern building all the seats have reasonable views at Bastille whereas at Garnier some people I know don%26#39;t think it is worth going if they can%26#39;t get seats in the stalls (floor).





Woh, I%26#39;m rambling on! Getting a bit keen on my Paris entertainments! Barely more than two weeks and I%26#39;ll be there.




|||



thanks for the info. My daughter and myself also loved the phantom of the opera. I evalready was a must see for us anyway. A ballet will make it all the more wonderful. I think we%26#39;ll get the tickets when we get there.



Thanks for the help,



rj

No comments:

Post a Comment