Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Recommendations for hotels in St Jean Cap Ferrat or...

We will be traveling to this area for 2 nites. I can not seem to find a hotel that meets most of our needs and budget. I want a nice hotel close to the water with great views of the harbor and prefer a hotel with a pool. We want to sunbathe and swim and take relaxing walks, yet be able to walk to restaurants. We are a family of 4, so most hotels are saying we need 2 rooms. Hotel Welcome has a min. of 3 nites, Hotel Royal Riviera wants 500 Euros for their rooms (I was willing to do one but am required to do 2 rooms), and La Voile d%26#39;Or, Brise Marine, Clair Logis, Belle Aurore, and Baha Vista were all panned by fellow tripadvisors. I am now looking at Hotel Provencal and Hotel Darse. Are there any hotels that I should consider that I am missing?




|||



The Darse has a wonderful quiet location, overlooking and within a few yards of the yacht harbour and a ten minute walk from the beach and something like 30 restaurants. You do need to accept that it is very cheap, so a long way from being luxury.





I am fairly sure that there is no hotel in a good location with a pool unless you pay silly prices. Villefranche beach is good for swimming.




|||



LondonBob, in your opinion, should I consider Hotel Versailles too? The only reason I%26#39;m looking at it is it has a pool. We%26#39;re willing to walk the 10 min or so to get to the town, beach, restaurants, etc. Your thoughts, please.




|||



Sorry for the slow reply. I have just got back from Japan.



I have never stayed at the Versailles but it is right beside the very busy main road, so could be noisy. I will be in Villefranche for one day next week and will try to drop in to the Versailles to have a look. Will let you know what I find.




|||



That%26#39;s very sweet of you to do that. I look forward to your reply!




|||



Hi Cindymac,





Husband and I have been travelling to that area for years now and still haven%26#39;t grown tired (and going again in July). In my experience, while Hotel de la Darse is good value for your money (considering that the area is outrageously expensive during the high season), it is more basic than Hotel Provencal, and I believe you would enjoy Provencal better. Also its location is little more central.





Some of their rooms overlook the sea, triple rooms with the seaview are around 120-150 euros (they may expect that you have buffet breakfast, which is included in the above prices although you may be able to get cheaper price if you manage to make the reservation without the breakfast). They charge 10��� for an extra bed - so I think you do not need to book two rooms.





On the other hand, Hotel de la Darse is closer to the sea, so the views are a bit better. Note though, that Villefranche is a pretty town, so even though Provencal may not be able to provide unrestricted seaview, you%26#39;ll most likely enjoy what%26#39;ll you see!




|||



Back from cloudy Villefranche to a beautiful sunny spring morning in London. As you will see when my review appears I stayed at the Hotel Darse and was astonished to find that, although the exterior is still very shabby, the public areas and some of the rooms are now completely refurbished and very smart indeed.





The refurbished rooms are almost on a par with those at the Welcome at less than half the price and must now be the best value in this part of the Riviera. The rooms and location of the Versailles are not nearly so nice but it does have a decent pool. When I stayed at the Provencal about two years ago, it was a typical shabby, old fashioned French hotel. I don%26#39;t think it has changed since.





I stayed in the air conditioned, immaculate room 31 at the Darse for 70 euros, including a very nice continental breakfast. I think if you booked this and the one next door you would be very happy. You need to be aware that it is on the 3rd floor (US 4th) and there is no lift.




|||



Thanks to you both for your replies. And another thank you to London Bob for going out of your way to assist me. I appreciate it very much. I decided to book Hotel Darse after reading your review. Looking forward to visiting this beautiful town!




|||



Cindy





Stick to Voile D%26#39;or





Eat at La Reserve





Lunch at The Sloop





Enjoy





Lgb




|||



Hello lgb, My old mate David Niven used to say something similar but there are a few people who can%26#39;t afford a budget of 1,000 euros a day!




|||



Your problem is that you want a hotel with a pool - and for this you will have to be far far back away from the sea. Bothe the Hotel Versailles and the Hotel Flore have pools. The Flore is better value.



I think you%26#39;d be better to go for a hotel close to the sea and swim in the sea. The Hotel de la Darse is simple, cheap and beautifully positioned - but not de luxe. No pool. The person who suggested La Reserve etc has suggested excellent (de luxe)places - but very, very expensive - so beware!



Hotel Provencale is OK - a bit shabby. but I like it and you can have a room with a balcony and a turret! No pool.



Hotel Welcome is smart. No pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment