Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My Paris Trip Report - Day 4 "Versailles - Walk, walk, walk"

We had 1 day left on our museum pass so this had to be our Versailles day. I had printed out directions on how to get there using the RER but of course, the RER hates me and they didn%26#39;t have any service to Versailles that day. ;-) So we had to get back on the metro and take it to another station where we could get on the SNFC trains out of the city.





Once we got there we followed the signs to the palace. I had read about how enormous Versailles is but walking up to it still took my breath away! Just walking on the cobblestones was an experience when thinking about how old they are and who all has crossed that path. Once again I was glad to have the museum pass to go through the seperate entrance once I saw the line to get in.





We saw the king and queen%26#39;s apartments, the part of the hall of mirrors that wasn%26#39;t until rennovation, the battle gallery and the chapel before heading outside. I wanted to see the Petit and Grand Trianons and some of the gardens. We saw the trams and we were going to buy the tickets but we thought it sounded kind of expensive and hey, we thought, we%26#39;re young and in good shape - how far can it be to walk? Ha!! I had no idea what we were getting into.





I have to admit the walk to the Petit Trianon was rather pleasant even though it was pretty far (it took us about 45 minutes or so walking a decent pace). Once we got there it didn%26#39;t take any time at all to walk through the building but what I really wanted to see was the Queen%26#39;s hamlet which was another 15-20 minute walk. But it was worth the walk since that was my favorite part at Versailles. It was so interesting to see, I just wish we could have seen the inside of the buildings. From there it was another walk back to the Petit Trianon and from there to the Grand Trianon. After touring that, we knew we would never make it for the long walk back to the palace. We saw people lining up for the trams but there didn%26#39;t seem to be any way to buy a return ticket if you hadn%26#39;t already purchased one at the palace. However, I was determined to get on that tram so I told my husband we were standing in line to ask. The driver said if there was enough room on the tram after the ticketed riders got on, he could sell us a ticket. Of course, it was full but another tram pulled up with room so we bought our tickets (it didn%26#39;t seem so expensive then!), hopped on to enjoy the ride. It drove us by the canals and through some of the gardens that we hadn%26#39;t gotten to see yet. Some of the fountains were on and it was a nice ride.





We were starving so we walked back into town and stopped at the first place we saw which seemed to be some sort of pub. I had a beer and a %26quot;frommage%26quot; pizza that had 4 French cheeses on it and was very different than any pizza I%26#39;ve ever had, (which was what I wanted) but very good. My husband had some kind of ham, potato and tomato sandwich which he said was just OK. It looked a bit bland.





When we got back to the city, we rested at our room for a while then grabbed a baguette, some cheese and wine and walked back to the Eiffel Tower for our picnic and to tape the lights with our camcorder. The lights didn%26#39;t show up very well on our tape unfortunately, but we still had a nice picnic and met some nice ladies from Washington who must have been starving for fellow Americans to converse with since they talked our ears off! LOL!





Then it was back to our room for our final day in Paris (day 5).




|||



what a walk that was



i don%26#39;t know if i could have gone through with it



that was nice of them to let you buy the return ticket



what was wrong with the video way didn%26#39;t it look to good

No comments:

Post a Comment