Tuesday, March 27, 2012

French Women definitely wear scarves!!!

Hi,



I just returned from Paris where women everywhere were wearing scarves. An earlier post had said they were%26#39;nt. Gosh, they sure know how to dress. I definitely am inspired to rev up my wardrobe.




|||



When it%26#39;s cold most men do too. I finally broke down and got one last winter and WOW, what a great invention!




|||



Mais oui! Scarves, especially in those pastel colours, are a great way to make you look special, especially when you know how to drape it around your shoulders or your neck.



My collection of pashminas and Hermes carres is awesome and I%26#39;d never give away any of it. Sometimes, I leave them in the drawer for months, just to pick one of it one day or evening to give my look that last special touch.



Accessories such as scarves, handbags, but also jewelries (real or fakes) can turn a bland dress or outfit into something to make you look special.




|||



I am the living proof that not ALL women/girls wear scarf in France!




|||



So am I !




|||



I went to a fast food restaurant here in Maryland last week and the cashier was wearing a lovely scarf with her otherwise dreary uniform. I had never seen her before, but when my turn came I immediately spoke to her in French. She seemed absolutely shocked and then asked me (in French) how I knew she was French. I responded, %26quot;Madame, c%26#39;est seulement les femmes francaises qui portent des carres comme ca%26quot;. We both had a good laugh.




|||



Mind you, i would say foulard for a scarf, instead of carre. We can say carre de soie for a small silk scarf, but it sounds a bit odd.




|||



Raphy, I%26#39;ve always heard Hermes scarves called carres. Is that incorrect?




|||



Yes, you are right on, Truffaut, but you said in your first post that she was wearing a scarf, which does not translate well back to french.... foularde v. echarpe v. carre.



It is not that every french woman wears scarves, but that N. American women rarely do and if they do it is generally outside with a coat in the winter... hence only one word for the garment, while the French have at least three.




|||



Truffaut, we say a %26quot;carre Hermes%26quot; when it refers to a scarf from that brand (veeery expensive) but not a %26quot;carre%26quot;. I think a carre only refers to Hermes. If someone came to tell me i had a nice %26quot;carre%26quot; i would not understand straight away what they would refer to ...




|||



It doesn%26#39;t look they%26#39;re going out of fashion for men anytime soon. I was just looking at photos from Sonia Rykiel%26#39;s Autumn/Winter show and nearly every single man was wearing a--foulard/echarp/carre/scarf/piece of nice fabric--around his neck!!





Everyone always talks about the way French women tie their scarves, but the men seem to have a very specific knot, as well. A long scarf is doubled and the placed around the neck. Then the two loose ends are drawn through the loop and tightened bit. The loose ends can be tucked in or left to hang out. I had never seen this in the States, but began wearing mine that way about 5 years ago. The only difficulty is finding scarves long enough to tie this way. (Another excuse to go to France regularly to shop for long scarves)!

No comments:

Post a Comment