Thursday, April 19, 2012

Just Back From 5 Days in Paris - Days 4 & 5

Day 4





Sometimes the unexpected happens on vacation, and one just has to deal with it. Today, my wife woke up with swollen glands, a bad cough and a sore throat, plus an intestinal infection. Not good. So my first visit was to the local pharmacie. As the day progressed, things only got worse. Nonetheless, we did get back to the gardens of the Palais Royale, and strolled along the Seine. We crossed over onto the Ile de Cite and ambled down some of its streets before we stopped for a nice quiet lunch at Mon Vieil Ami, another TA recommended place. (69 rue Saint Louis en l���Ile, 01 40 46 01 35). I would second the recommendation. Of course, afterwards, we paid homage to Berthilons for a double scoop of glace. It was good���but I think I am a true gelato nut, and I have yet to find anything that rivals good Italian gelato. Sorry!! That evening we met a friend at a caf�� which he recommended in the 5th called Chez Lena %26amp; Mimile, 32 rue Tournefort (01 47 07 72 47). It was a very nice choice, and our meals were delicious. The wine list was also reasonable in depth as well. However, second hand smoke was a problem again. Maybe it���s a sign that the Parisiens like the place. Their chocolate mousse was fabulous. We continued to eat our way through Paris.





Day 5



Our day started with a visit to general practice physician for DRUGS. Of course, nous n���avons pas une rendezvous, so we waited and waited. Finally, the doctor spent 30 minutes with her, and she walked out with six prescriptions. The bill was 30 euros. Unbelievable. After procuring the medicines, we were off to the Musee Jacquemart Andre. I wholeheartedly recommend this to everyone, even non-museum lovers, and be sure to pick up the free audioguide, which is in English. It is a tour through a 19th century maison par excellence of a couple who were lovers of the arts, particularly Italian works of art. It is also a fascinating insight into life during that period in high society.





That evening we had made reservations at Le Coupe Chou, which has been the topic of many discussions here at this forum. It was extra nice that it was a 5 minute walk from our hotel. Joining us were some friends from the States who had moved back home to Paris. Le Coupe Chou was an absolutely charming restaurant, the food was excellent and it was a truly fitting farewell for our last night in Paris. The next day we were off to Honfleur and Rouen.



** It took 3 more days, but my wife did finally get better!




|||



Your story is wonderful. I%26#39;m so sorry to hear about your wife%26#39;s illness. I have the Le Coupe Chou on my list. I also made a lunch reservation at Jules Vern, what the heck it can%26#39;t be that bad for lunch, price wise that is. I don%26#39;t leave until August so my Itinery isn%26#39;t together yet. I%26#39;m leaning more towards burning the itinery and playing it by ear.




|||



oops...spelling, itinerary...I type faster than I think.




|||



Maggie,





If this is your first trip, it helps to at least know what you want to see and where it is on the Paris map. If this is a repeat visit, then I like to venture out into uncharted waters a little more. The unexpected pleasures are the ones you will remember most.





I don%26#39;t think you can go wrong with either Le Coupe Chou or the Jules Verne. Both are highly recommended, although JV is in a different price category.





Have a bon voyage!




|||



Snavaro, Thanks for the input...I%26#39;ve studied all the places and have just about memorized the Paris map. I do have a game plan; I just meant I would try to be more flexible. After listening to all you TA%26#39;s coming and going I realize I might just want to let it happen. I%26#39;ve been reading this site like a Bible so I%26#39;m sure I won%26#39;t stray too far. This is a wonderful site I%26#39;m so glad I stumbled upon it. I���m trying to pay attention so I don���t have to bug all you guys. But, as it gets closer and I get more excited I don���t know if I���ll be able to help myself. I leave August 9th. But who���s counting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment