Saturday, April 21, 2012

Traveling with Pet

I will be traveling to Paris at the end of the year and would like to take my dog. I can%26#39;t seem to get anyone to tell me if there is a quarantine issue either upon landing in Paris or upon returning to the US. I will be in Paris for 2 weeks and the dog will have the appropriate paperwork. Can anyone help me? Thanks.




|||



Never heard of the quarantine, it used to be the case for GB until recently, but in France i don%26#39;t think there is, actually i am pretty sure there isn%26#39;t.




|||



No quarantine, i%26#39;m sure of it. The best contact you couldget aboutthat subject is Air France. Give them a ring in the US and ask them about the rules. I know that there is an European Passport for dogs and cats, i don%26#39;tknow if the US have it but i%26#39;m sure you need some papers like rabbies shots certificate, etc.





Be aware that some breeds are strictly forbidden, such as pitbull and similar %26quot;fighting%26quot; dogs.




|||



Check in with the specific airline you will be using, as some will not allow pets in the cabin for international flights while others will.


I sincerely hope that your dog is small and you are taking as carryon. Otherwise, please leave your dog in the care of someone while you are gone. Long flights in the baggage hold are unpleasant and stressful for animals and shouldn%26#39;t be done unless you are moving for a long period.




|||



As others have said here, best to check with your airline. I flew back to the U.S. on Air France the other day and was chatting with a woman who was bringing a small dog back home with her after a week in Paris. She said there was a huge amount of paperwork involved (which they didn%26#39;t even look at when she arrived in Paris), but no quarantine. Her small dog was traveling with her in the cabin. She said most, if not all, U.S. carriers do not allow pets in the cabin on international flights.




|||



Thanks for the information. I am flying Air France so I will ask them specifically about any quarantine. They didn%26#39;t mention any the first time I called just told me the paperwork that was needed. Don%26#39;t worry I would dream of shipping an animal in the cargo hold. Mine is a Yorkshire Terrier and travels in the cabin with me. The only reason I am thinking of taking him is because he develops a severe case of separation anxiety when left for just a couple of days and I can%26#39;t imagine what would happen for 15 days.




|||



Ptolar lucky you for getting to bring your dog. The only problem I had when I was in Paris was I missed my dog sooooo much!!!!!!!! And to be able to have him or her with you on the plane is great.




|||



Make sure that your hotel or apartment allows pets. This topic has been addressed on the forum and I thought I remembered someone saying something like %26quot;while Paris loves animals they still don%26#39;t allow them everywhere%26quot;. If this is accurate, then your dog may be even more anxious if he/she has to be left alone in a strange place while you are out.





Personally, I would get a house/pet sitter for my %26quot;child%26quot; and leave him home.




|||



You know, I%26#39;m spending nearly 10 grand on this trip and if anything can ruin it, it will be from worrying about our dog! She is so sweet and has never been separated from us (she%26#39;s 4 1/2). My mother-in-law will be staying here so it won%26#39;t be too too bad, but we%26#39;re already worrying over her.



I wish we could take her, but she%26#39;s 50 pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment