Sunday, April 15, 2012

Another question for the experts: Auvers-sur-Oise, Arles...

I promise you will all be rewarded with a big report of our holiday when we get back as I feel quite demanding with my 4th question; here goes:





2 days in Paris, 5 days in the Provence, 7 days in Plum Village (40K East of Bordeaux), then 5 more days in Paris





My son is 17 (as some of you know) and among his favourite artists are Cezanne, Van Gough and Monet. We have great advice about how to get to Monet���s garden from KDKSAIL by researching past forums.





What do you experts think about a visit to Auvers-sur-Oise? Not sure if we���ll have time but I can���t find any info about where it is or how to get there. The SNCF site that offers a tour is in French. I would love some help with this.





We are planning to leave for the south on Sunday the 3rd of July and take the TGV to Arles, arriving around 1pm (3 1/2 hrs), spend a day and a half shared between Arles and Aix-en-Provence. Do you think this is enough time to enjoy both places?





If not then Aix-en-Provence (Cezanne) would be our choice as I���ve just now done a little research in Fodors 2001 and found that the people of Arles treated Vincent Van Gough very badly during the time he stayed there (1889) and so I think it would be nicer to visit Auvers-sur-Oise instead. I am not sure if a TGV goes directly to Aix-en-Provence. The SCNF website from here is very temperamental.





We will be without a car. Will that be okay? Also we will need to book a place to stay on the Sunday night. That shouldn���t be a problem if I do a search in this forum.





My aunty is going to pick us up from Marseille (or possibly Aix-en-Provence) on the evening of the 4th. She lives 40K East of both towns in Saint Maximin La Sainte Baume and has plans for three days of sight seeing. She and her husband are Dutch but speak fluent French and English (phew!!!!). She is actually my mums cousin and I haven���t met her before. It���s all very exciting.





And yes I will write and run all this by her but wanted to do a bit of homework on it first.





Thanks again, please reply!!!!!



Deanne






|||



Deanne, Auvers-sur-Oise is is just east of Pontoise, which is a short distance north-west of Paris. The town website is www.auvers-sur-oise.com It%26#39;s in French, but if you click on the top left icon on the home page it gives you a photo. Having said that, I%26#39;m surprised that you want to go there - it%26#39;s not exactly on the tourist trail - but perhaps it%26#39;s for family, or artistic, reasons. Very easy to get to by car, but I guess that by rail you should travel from Paris to Pontoise, then get a taxi (it%26#39;s only about 6 km).



When you go south, if you start to run out of time, spend it in Aix-en-Provence - it%26#39;s an enchanting city. Have a good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment