Thursday, April 19, 2012

What side of plane should we sit on to get best view

Our flight into Paris is already pretty full so we%26#39;ll be stuck in the middle seats, but the flight out of Paris still has window seats available. Looking toward the cockpit, would the seats on the left or the right give us a better view of the Eiffel tower, etc?




|||



YES---the right side of the aircraft or the left will give you a better view of the Eiffel Tower, 30-odd kilometers to the south-east. Aircraft land and take off on different runways and in different directions, governed by the direction of the wind. So depending on what the wind is doing at the time your flight departs will pretty much determine your view out of whichever window you%26#39;re sitting next to. Weather conditions will also play a major role.




|||



Depending on weather and your actual take-off runway, you may not even be able to see the Eiffel Tower (or the Sacre Coeur which is another prominent landmark).





But if everything is working in your favor, I think the left (port) side would give you a better chance than the right. The downside is that this is also the sunny side on the east to west crossing, which can be annoying...




|||



Thanks, KDKSAIL! I guess it%26#39;s not like going to other cities- I%26#39;ve noticed when I%26#39;ve gone to New York, for example, one side is better than the other.




|||



From what you%26#39;ve both said, it looks like we should just take our chances and hope we get to see something. I%26#39;ll go ahead and pick the right side in order to avoid the sun. Thanks!




|||



The inside :)




|||



Only twice have i been able to see the Eiffel, because it was twinkling at night...Otherwise it is so far that you may well miss it. The planes go in so many different directions from and to the airport i don%26#39;t think is id sure you will see it...




|||



In all my trips to Paris, I%26#39;ve never seen ANYTHING remotely recognizable from the air. Just wondering, are there no flight paths directly over the city?




|||



CDG is much farther away from Paris than is JFK / New York or the airports in Washington, DC, or the airport at Philly etc...



For example, all of Paris within the %26#39;ring road%26#39; is in RATP zone 1, and CDG is 4 zones out... never seen anything from the air either.





Now Amsterdam - you can see a lot of red rooftops, canals, etc when you fly into Schiphol...




|||



On my most recent return flight, for the first time I got to see the city. I was on the right-hand side of the plane.





We were at a pretty high altitude, but I could clearly make out the big right bank landmarks. I just got a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, but couldn%26#39;t see anything else on the left bank.





I have to admit, it was a great end to my visit.




|||



I kind of think that quite a few years ago, when planes used to have less steep climb angles, and we were less concerned with noise abatemant and security than we are now, you could see more as you took off from CDG.





I%26#39;ve never done it, but perhaps a flight from the UK or Ireland to ORY would give you a view of the city??





If you%26#39;ve driven the area north and northwest of Paris quite a bit, and are pretty familiar with the Michelin 1:100 000 map of the Paris environs, you can recognize quite a few of the ex-urban villages from the air. I recall picking out Gonesse on one occasion as we came in to land, before it became famous - or should I say infamous...

No comments:

Post a Comment