Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Travel advice for a great trip. Find your own path.

Paris has GREAT tourist attractions, but I can honestly say that some of my most memerable moments in Paris have been happenstance.





If you have a hobby or interest try to pursue it. In the pursuit of obscure Museums that have either moved or closed I have had delightful afternoons. The bacharach crystal museum is pretty cool, once we found it. The cute park we found on the way was neat too.





My husband is a coin collecter. On our last visit he was spending several days working and I got to explore Paris solo. He wanted to find some rolls of uncirculated coins so I volunteered to help. Easy in the US, but basically impossible in France. I got to practice very odd French phrases at banks. I was sent on several wild goose chases all over town, but in the search I got to experience the %26quot;viva la difference%26quot;. I had a most enjoyable day. If you have a hobby or interest follow it, you will see more of the real Paris than any guidebook of highlights will give you. This trip we plan to visit the Musee du poupee (doll museum). This would not be on everyones top 10 list, but I expect it will be very interesting to my doll afficionado daughter and I expect it will be off the beaten path.




|||



If your daughter is in to dolls you can take her along the Viaduct des Arts where there is an atelier for repairing old dolls.... great street to discover for those who loving getting off the beaten path.




|||



Phred, where exactly is that, its not on my map index?




|||



The Viaduc des Arts is along Avenue Daumesnil, 12th arr., south of Place de la Bastille.



Here%26#39;s the web site with plenty of information, including access map, etc.





www.viaduc-des-arts.com/english/index_eng.htm




|||



PS:



Above the viaduc, you have the famous Promenade Plantee. Maybe, you%26#39;ve seen the film %26#39;Before Sunset%26#39;. I believe, that was the film one could spot it.





http://www.promenade-plantee.org/




|||



I see it now. My map calls it Viaduc de la Bastille. Looks interesting. Thank you.




|||



Very true - I love Lalique and visited the Lalique store near the Opera/Maxims. The staff there loved to talk about Lalique and were happy to chat for ages even though I wasn%26#39;t buying anything that visit. The store is amazing, a Lalique fountain and large Lalique handles.




|||



good advice, portlandbeth. We love seeing the famous sights, but always leave time to pursue our own passions. These adventures make the best memories and most hilarious stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment