Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Paris Experts - What's up with le tour St. Jacques?

It%26#39;s been wrapped in schaffolds for literally years and absolutely never has anyone working on it. I see it every day, always looking for a sign of restoration work but it looks more like an abandoned effort. It%26#39;s been so long since I%26#39;ve seen it without it%26#39;s skin of netting, I forgot what it looks like.




|||



I asked the vice-mayors brother last week in the Green Linnet Irish bar around the corner, and he said he%26#39;s ask his sister what was happening with it. It%26#39;s been like that since 2000 I think and the sign on the bottom shows that the work was supposed to have been finished since 2002.





It%26#39;s strange for this kind of work to go on for so long so I can only guess that it%26#39;s a bigger job than expected, but I haven%26#39;t actually seen anyone working on the actual tower in years !




|||



In the official magazine of the Mayor of Paris, it said it should reopen in september 2005, and maybe in the future it could be open to the public...




|||



I read that when Haussman was doing his thing around Paris, that the tour St Jacques was actually elevated quite a few feet to put it at the new street level. I%26#39;m guessing that this must have made it very unstable leading to more work than they were expecting, sort of like the Orangerie.




|||



So why is no one actually doing any work (for at least 16 months in my observation)? I%26#39;m dying to know what%26#39;s up with le tour!!




|||



Sorry to corrct you, it %26quot;La%26quot; tour , not %26quot;le%26quot; tour. No offense, hey ;)




|||



Gender in language is tough for people who only speak english. Hope you will forgive my caveman French. We are completely committed to learning French but just beginners... We are handicapped by working for US companies in France where only English is spoken. We will remedy that. We don%26#39;t work there anymore.




|||



I was just trying to be funny, of course you are forgiven, especially as you have chosen a picture that i love, from the metro. I know French is a tough language...




|||



Interesting, the raising of the tower I mean. I was thinking about it just now and it occured to me that our building (early 17th century) which was missed by Haussmann because it lies in the middle of the block, surrounded on all sides by Haussminian buildings is about 3 meters below street level, relative to the surrounding buildings. We%26#39;re just a few hundred yards from the tower. This supports the theory that the tower was raised by the Baron.





Now I%26#39;m thinking.... the Seine... and it%26#39;s tendency to FLOOD on occasion. It%26#39;s just a block away.




|||



Metromole, i don%26#39;t think that is the reason. All 17th century buildings were much lower than the new 19th century buildings, at the time they thought it wouldn%26#39;t make much difference, as they imagined the 17th century buildings were meant to be destroyed, and that the 19th buildings replacing them would all have then the same height, eventually.So it is normal that your 17th century is lower than the rest...



The reason why they raised the TOur St Jacques is that actually they created the rue de Rivoli and there used to be a tiny hill there, so they actually compensated that.




|||



That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment