Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What gifts from the USA do the French value?

I%26#39;m visiting some friends and relatives in France, and I have no idea what kind of gifts to get for them from the US. I need to get some gifts for 6-8 yr old boys and girls, and grown-ups in their 30s (male and female). Also, these gifts will have to be compact since I%26#39;ll have to stuff them in my luggage.





Anybody have any suggestions? I%26#39;d greatly appreciate it!




|||



DO a search for other posts on this topic and you will find loads of info.



Oreo cookies are a delicacy here. Califronia baseball caps... and this is a weird one, but I see lots of French people wearing fleeces from SF. My imagination can see them shivering their timbers at Fisherman%26#39;s Wharf and running to the nearest tourist trap souvenir shop to keep from turning into a CA Icee, but they are popular here, what ever the reason.




|||



pread, thanks! I did search for gift prior to posting this, but I believe the previous post was on a gift for a friend from the US, living in France. I did see the posts on oreo cookies and peanut butter. haha, that%26#39;s pretty funny. And fleece? They%26#39;re soft and comfy so I can understand. Thanks for your input! I will gather a list of things to go shopping for :)




|||



Funny about the SF fleece. I have my very own SF fleece for the very same reason. A SF Zoo fleece no less! It was July for goodness sakes. We had to make to to see the Golden Gate and yes I was turning into an ICEE.





I actually took a case of wine once. Kind of a long story, but it did garner attention everywhere along the way.



For kids I would guess the same things they like here. Everything always looks so different when its from a different country that its just cool. Lego blocks?




|||



I think they have Lego Blocks in Paris, as do the rest of Europe, as they were invented in Denmark! I know they have a huge Lego store in Cologne in Germany and lots of them here in the UK! How about a version of Monopoly that%26#39;s harder to get hold of here in Europe, such as the New York edition! Ghiradelli chocolate gifts are nice, as is Californian wine! I have French friends, who like to try wines from different parts of the world, it is a myth that the French are wine snobs!! When I have returned from US holidays with gifts, little league baseball mitts always go down well with the boys, and baseballs themselves also!




|||



My daughter is 8 and what she really loves is %26quot;Harry Potter%26quot;. She has read all the books and is looking forward for the next movie (part 4, I think). So if you find tee shirts with Harry or Hermione on them, I think they will like them very much. My daughter also likes the cartoon %26quot;Totally Spies%26quot;. Is it from the US ?



For boys, I agree that baseball caps are very much appreciated in France.



California wine for adults : great idea.




|||



Oh yeah, I am going back to the US in August and a few families have asked me to bring back StarWars stuff....



The Monpoly games are cool, but be sure the family is fluent in English, or see if you can get a French version. Twister might be fun... they have it here, but there is a certian cache to having it from the US and the language should be easy enough for even the 8 yr old.




|||



htc001, I don%26#39;t know where you%26#39;re from in California, but if it%26#39;s SF, you have a wonderful product there that I stock up on regularly when I am lucky enough to visit. It%26#39;s called Aubergine (I know, it means eggplant), but it[s stricly a California delicacy. A lovely lady named Affie started the company and copyrighted the recipe. Sold at the Embarcadero Farmer%26#39;s Market and also the farmer%26#39;s market near the Civic Center. It%26#39;s a smoked and roasted eggplant dip that is out of this world. You wouldn%26#39;t want to cart it around in the heat, so plan to refrigerate it or give it soon after arrival if you get some. A nice local delicacy for the adults. For the kids, you can%26#39;t beat the peanut butter filled Oreos. Or even sand and shells from the Pacific, if you%26#39;re anywhere near the ocean.




|||



OOOh peanut butter filled oreo%26#39;s. We have the regular ones here in the UK, but I%26#39;ve never seen the PB ones. Mental note - must get PB Oreo%26#39;s when in Florida in September (I assume they%26#39;re a countrywide item)!!!!!




|||



Helking, and have you tried the Key Lime coconut patties here in Florida? Sinful



back to topic: don%26#39;t forget the U.S. made clothing items that are so popular in Europe: jeans, Nikes or Adidas, Old Navy items. Williams Sonoma stuff is always welcome too.




|||



elliemae, will definitely look out for those key lime patties - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment