Thursday, April 12, 2012

Travel from Perpignan airport

I%26#39;m flying to Perpignan airport at the beginning of September and am heading down towards Argeles-sur-Mer where I%26#39;ll be staying for a week. What%26#39;s the best way to get there? I don%26#39;t feel confident about hiring a car as I%26#39;ve not driven abroad before.





Also, how easy is it to get around the area using public transport?





Appreciate any help.




|||



Hi, we visit Argeles-Sur-Mer every year (we drive from North West UK!). I have no experience of the public transport, what I can say is that it is a very easy drive from Perpignan to Argeles-Sur-Mer. you need 2 roads and that%26#39;s it! It%26#39;s approx 30 min drive down what would be the equivalent of one of our A roads. Argeles is very well signposted all the way. You may struggle with public transport as Argeles is the largest camping centre in Europe and as such, most people tend to drive (in fact, I can%26#39;t ever recall seeing a bus). There is a website www.argeles-sur-mer.com which may be able to help you with your quest for Public transport but, honestly, it%26#39;s an easier drive than going to the corner shop in the UK!!! Good luck and enjoy your time in Argeles.... it is truly a wonderful place!




|||



Ooh, bit worried now!! The driving sounds tempting, but having never done it before on the continent I think I could get myself into a hell of a state and end up not looking forward to the holiday! (A wuss, I know!)





Does anyone have any advice what I could expect to pay for a taxi instead? I may have to resort to that.




|||



Aw, c%26#39;mon, Fauvist! You can handle the driving bit. I just got back from a trip to Cheshire for a wedding and when I discovered that a taxi from Mancheter airport to my hotel was going to cost me 100 UKP each way for about a 20 mile trip, the whole idea of hiring a car became quite appealing. If I can do it in the UK, you can do it in France! (I have lived for about half my life in the UK, though...)





Driving around the Argeles area is really easy and the only handy way to get about. The roads are good, mostly pretty quiet especially out of season, and the drivers certqainly no worse than in the UK!





You CAN get from Perpignan to Argeles-sur-Mer by train in about 20 minutes, but trains are not frequent - about every two hours I think. From Argeles-sur-Mer station there are buses for the 10 minute trip to Argeles Plage. I imagine there is some kind of shuttle service from the airprt to Perpignan.





But if you want to visit Collioure and the rest of the Cote Vermeille, to say nothing of anything inland you will really need to hire a car. Or you can just hang out in Argeles...





Either way, have a GREAT time!

No comments:

Post a Comment