Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Le Hameau Albert 1er - Chamonix

Sorry to ask this here, but the Paris forum is the only one that gets any traffic and everyone is so knowledgeable that I figure someone will be able to help.





I%26#39;m thinking of dining at the Albert 1er in Chamonix when we%26#39;re there later this month. Has anyone had dinner there? Any thoughts, ideas, comments? How should we dress? Anything else I should know?





Thanks in advance. We%26#39;ll be in Paris for three days before the 24 Heures du Mans and in Chamonix for the week after.




|||



I have never been to Albert 1er but I heard about it and it seems terrific (and pricey). I think you should dress up for that evening as it is a chic place.


Do not forget to visit Megeve, a small village not too far from Chamonix. For my part, I think it has much more character than Chamonix, with old style chalets (from the outside, but inside WOW!!), plenty of very good restaurants , a lot of them with terraces, and nice shops. There are a lot of nice walking and climbing to do also in Megeve and you will always find delicious small restaurants lost in the middle of nowhere, between cows and sheeps (not sure of the spelling !).


If you want more info on Megeve, do not hesitate to ask as I spend my christmas and part of my summer holidays there every year...


Anne




|||



Anneparis -





Your English is so good that I hardly ever see anything that is incorrect. But since you asked (indirectly...) about %26quot;sheeps,%26quot; in English the plural of sheep is irregular. You do not add an %26quot;s%26quot; at the end to make it plural.





So you have one sheep or six sheep or sixty-six sheep - but I hope you never have sixty sick sheep!





:%26gt;)




|||



Thanks, Anne. I remember going to Megeve the last time I was in the area, but that was more than 30 years ago so I don%26#39;t remember it well. I kind of figure on going through there some time this month. I always thought of it as a ski resort, are things open in the summer?




|||



IrishRovr, try saying this ten times:





The sixth sick sheik%26#39;s sixth sheep%26#39;s sick!







Of course it only works right if you mispronounce %26quot;sheik%26quot; as %26quot;sheek.%26quot;




|||



Dear DesAlpes,



Oh yes, everything is open in Megeve during the summer. I can even say that I prefer Megeve in the summer than in the Winter. You will be surprised by the crowd !



Irishrovr, I was told it was the same for shrimp : 1 shrimp, 24 shrimp !! So strange.But thank you, I learnt something!




|||



AnneParis -





Here are a few more which do not add an %26#39;s%26#39;- salmon, trout, grouse (Fr: coq de bruyere), deer...





Now it is about to get even more strange! In American English the plural of shrimp is, as you wrote, shrimp. But in British English I think it is shrimps. (I think you may use whichever you prefer...)





Such a wonderfully complex language, is it not?









DesAlpes - Thank you for the tongue-twister. I don%26#39;t recall seeing that one before.





In return here is one for you: The Leith police dismisseth us with six thick thistle-sticks.




|||



AnneParis - you say I%26#39;ll be surprised by the crowd in Megeve in June. Surprised at how many people are there or how few?





IrishRovr - thanks. Don%26#39;t know why I immediately thought of that tongue twister when you told AnneParis about the plural of sheep. The mind is a mysterious thing!




|||



Surprised by How many people. Lots of parisian families with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment