Tuesday, April 17, 2012

expedia,priceline & discount site users, please comment

do you feel like you room assignment is of a lower standard because you booked through a discount site at a reduced rate and not directly through the hotels site at rack rate?




|||



I%26#39;m not sure. I do know that we once arrived at a hotel in Paris that we%26#39;d booked through a discounter. We had my mom and sister with us. Mom was having a problem with her knee. The lady at the desk told us our rooms were on the 5th floor but the elevator only went to the 4th. Mom nearly passed out upon hearing this. I told them that she could not climb those stairs several times a day and they nicely re-located them to a lovely room on the 2nd floor. It was a large room with a large marble bath. My husband and I were stuck on the 5th in what could only be described as a garrett. It was so small with no place for our luggage. When you sat on the john your knees hit the sink. We love Paris so much that we were still happy to be there and the room was spotless.





2 years ago we booked flight and hotel with Expedia at another hotel. We had a very nice room on the 1st floor. So maybe there is no connection. I don%26#39;t know how you could find out.




|||



I booked with Expedia in Vencie and was delighted by the hotel, even at discount price. I had a similar experience with the in nice a few years ago and I have been going back to the same hotel 4 times in 43 years. Expedia is more than OK but check the prices often before booking.




|||



I have never had a problem with any hotel I have styed in and we have used expedia for all of our trips since our honeymoon last year, while I didn%26#39;t care for our hotel in venice that was more my fault, I did%26#39;t research the hotel on this site before booking.



See what hotels are being offered by the different sites at your price range and then come back here and get the nitty-gritty on them




|||



Thanks for the replies. I have long suspected that different rules apply to different people. I%26#39;ve read hundreds of hotel reviews and most of the people that wrote glowing comments say how they were immediately upgraded on arrival to a larger room bla bla bla, and others that gave so-so reviews complain of small, lackluster, unsatisfactory rooms. *All in the same hotels mind you*. I do read these and keep in mind that everyones tastes are different and some are fussier than others. Politness and consideration also goes along way with a hotel staff, but all things being equal, I%26#39;d like to think that we are all treated the same regardless of how we made our reservations. I would love to save 40-50 Euros by booking the same hotel through priceline or expedia, it just makes me nervous.




|||



I used Orbitz for a package deal to Las Vegas. Got a great price staying at Caesar%26#39;s, and when we asked to upgrade upon checking in, they just upgraded us happily with no questions asked! Got a fantastic room with a huge jacuzzi right in the middle of it. I was happy with Orbitz on this package. Have not used the discount sites for European travel, though.




|||



well first for me expedia is really not a discounter, i compared the prices for the same hotels in new york, expedia cost the same or almost the same as the hotels prices, as hotels.com or hotelclub.net were really really cheaper.



i reserved through hotels.com for dream hotel, i had no choice about the room, the rooms were so small, i changed once because the first we had was a shame, we had an horrible view on a dirty wall and garbages..then the second one, if i sat on a bed my friend could not go the other side, i had to put all my body on the bed. and no way to be upgraded, when people that directly ordered with the hotel were upgraded. if you can choose the size of your room well then great, otherwise you can be in a very small room. next time i will reserve via hotelclub.net, because you can choose several rooms. and they have lots of choice




|||



alexth82 - (since you are a local expert) Rather than be vague, I have confirmed a room at the Warwick Westminster Opera on the Rue de la Paix through their corporate website and telephone representative. I chose their own package rate that includes 2 nights with breakfast, but an %26quot;unspecified room to be selected upon arrival based on availability%26quot; Do you know this hotel? And do you think that there is anything I can do to (short of not booking a package) to better my chances of getting a nice room. I am hoping that if my husband and I are disappointed we can upgrade, but it some cases it appears that that options is spotty. - Sally




|||



sorry but because i live in paris i don%26#39;t go to these hotels :) but i%26#39;m sure some people of the forum can tell you if it%26#39;s nice, and anyway go and read the comments on this hotel (on the left of the forum), you will see if people think it is good or not. and if you don%26#39;t like the room, because you went through their website i think they will be nice, i read some people that were upgraded because they told this or that, i don%26#39;t remember but some will reply i hope.



but this hotel seems nice and is from the warwick groups, they have lots of hotels i think (well 2 in ny, that are good).




|||



oh and their smallest room is 20 square meters, i don%26#39;t know if it%26#39;s with the bathroom or without it, but it%26#39;s not so big but not so small, and it seems they are very well located, in a very chic part of paris, so i don%26#39;t think you will be disapointed. i saw some pictures of the inside of the hotel, which seems very nice.




|||



Thank you again for your help. I was born in New York City and I worked for the Loews Hotel Chain and I have only stayed in a New York Hotel once in my life (the Regency). So I know what you mean. I%26#39;ve read the reviews here, Fodor%26#39;s and Expedia. I love the area. I am only nervous becuase this is a gift to my husband and It was a bit out of my price range and I want the 2 days to be very special. Looks like my work is done and I%26#39;ll just keep my fingers crossed for the best. Thanks for the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment