Tuesday, April 17, 2012

note for meddam about menu reader

Thanks for your great report - can%26#39;t wait to hear more. What exactly is your menu reader? - I have a little book with translations - are you talking about something else?? Curious, because I don%26#39;t want to eat anything unless I know what it is.




|||



Hi - someone previously listed





http://mcraeclan.com/EionF/glossary.htm





as a help foro understanding menus....




|||



I purchased %26quot;Eating and Drinking in Paris: A menu reader and restaurant guide%26quot; by Andy Herbach and Michael Dillon on the advice of people here. It was very comprehensive with all different types of foods, sauces, preparations %26amp; very handy (when I remembered to bring it!). Not too thick, so it doesn%26#39;t take up a lot of space. It also has advice on types of eating establishments, making reservations, etc. I think I bought it on Overstock.com or amazon.




|||



meddam, I want to know more about the %26quot;Eating and Drinking%26quot; guide, please. The pages they preview on Amazon don%26#39;t answer my question.





Is the format in complete/straight alphabetical order, like a dictionary?



Or is it categorized first, ie. %26quot;Regional Dishes%26quot; alphabetized, then %26quot;Fish%26quot; alphabetized, then %26quot;Desserts%26quot; alphabetized.





I%26#39;m looking for a menu reader that is straight alpha, not categorized. I have one called %26quot;Bon Appetit%26quot; but it%26#39;s a bit too large for my pocket. The Marling Menu-master is categorized and it is very difficult to find terms if you don%26#39;t already know that the term is for a %26#39;fish%26#39; or a %26#39;legume%26#39;.





Thanks!




|||



It%26#39;s listed in alphabetical order. So if you see a strange item on the menu, it%26#39;s very easy to look it up. I can%26#39;t remember if it goes in the opposite direction as well (English word with French translation). It%26#39;s kind of long, so it won%26#39;t fit in a pocket without sticking out, but it%26#39;s not too thick. I%26#39;d recommend it.




|||



I can%26#39;t actually believe I%26#39;m saying this, but...





Try Rick Steve%26#39;s little mini French phrase book - has one of the best menu decoders around in a manageable, small size.





Bon appetit!





Live to Travel



NYC




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Try Rick Steve%26#39;s little mini French phrase book - has one of the best menu decoders around in a manageable, small size.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





Though I%26#39;m not a %26#39;..Rickie..%26#39; myself, I have to agree that the ver basic food glossary in the Steve book if practical for most purposes. If nothing else it helps you to eliminate menu choices before asking a waiter to explain the rest.





The French Food Glossary from the web site listed above is a good one and relatively extensive. You could quite easily Save this glossary and then edit it down to a more manageable number of entries to suite your own preferences and dislikes.




|||



Are there any palm OS programs that would help with a menu or translation??




|||



don%26#39;t know about Palm programs, but couldn%26#39;t you just download the info from the above online glossary? or create a document then download that?...

No comments:

Post a Comment