Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Assiette de crudites

Does anyone in Paris know the secret to that wonderful dressing that they put on those raw veggies!!!!!! God that was good. I want to recreate it at home. possibly was it oil and dijon mustard??????



Merci




|||



it%26#39;s just a simple vinaigrette :) just moustard, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. i mean i suppose it was that that%26#39;s what they put most of the time.




|||



I think so also, Alex. Just three or four parts oil to one part vinegar or lemon juice, with some salt and pepper. Then a little Dijon mustard is added for flavor and also to act as an emusifying agent. You can add a halved garlic clove and let it sit until the vinaigrette has enough garlic flavor to suit you and then remove it. Adjust the proportions to suit your taste. Shake well before using. It keeps well in the refrigerator.





The other thing I really like with crudites is aioli, which is basically a garlic flavored mayonnaise. Yummy!




|||



I usually smash and dice a garlic clove as my first ingredient when I make a vinaigrette....also crumble some dried oregano leaves and add a tiny pinch of sugar....delish. I also find that using Maille brand Dijon Mustard adds alot of flavor.




|||



The closest I%26#39;ve found to it is in the dressing aisles of French supermarkets. I%26#39;ve never seen the brand (something like lessoil??) anywhere except France, so I always buy a few bottles to bring home with me. It%26#39;s got Dijon mustard in it, and they do a few other alternatives too, specifically for crudites. Yummy. Assiette de crudites is one of my favourite French dishes - the vegetables are always so much tastier and fresher than those we get in the supermarkets in England.




|||



If the exact recipe is what Alex and IrishRover, another variation is to add a coffee spoon of yoghurt to it to make it creamy.





Not bad at all.




|||



for my vinaigrette I use :



3 tablespoons of Vinaigre Balsamique



5 tablespoons of Olive Oil



1 small tablespoon of moutarde de dijon (not american mustard)



salt and pepper.




|||



Rhiannon I guess you%26#39;re talking about Lesieur?





(another proof of our lack of exportation skills. sob sob)




|||



I have discovered that Champagne vinegar works great in this recipe. It%26#39;s light with an interesting pungency that works with a good Dijon Mustard. I also add a drop or two of garlic oil.




|||



Thank you so much. I%26#39;m drooling thinking about that dish.




|||



elliemae - I don%26#39;t mean to be presumptuous, but since I stumbled upon your recent post in this Paris forum, I was hoping for advice. Your comments on The Amalfi coast (along with TonyM.) were insightful. Got the itch to travel again and this time we are off the Berlin %26amp; Paris in June. Do you have any ideas on really comfy, small parisian hotel? Just two of us this trip, and for only 2 nights. Would appreciate any pearl of wisdom. Sallylou.

No comments:

Post a Comment