Thursday, April 19, 2012

Moet - Flemish?

I suspect this has been covered in these forums before, but I have been unable to locate it.





I understand that the correct pronunciation of Moet (as in the champagne house) is Mo-ET (not mo-EY) but have never been able to understand why, when other french words would appear to be pronounced the other way.





A friend has just informed me that this is because Mo-ET is the flemish pronunciation. The only problem for me is that I was not aware that flemish was spoken in the champagne region? Were the founders of Moet flemish? (The moet website has been unhelpful!)





I would very much appreciate if anyone is able to shed some light on this piece of annoying trivia (at least for those of us back in Australia)!





Thanks a lot.






|||



I am sure that there are quite a few people in the northern parts of northeast of France that are of Flemish background. In neighboring Belgium Flemish is spoken along with French. It can get confusing. The first time I drove to Liege, Belgium from Germany, nobody told me that Liege has three names, Liege (French), Luik (Flemish) and Luttich (a German dialect) so I passed the off ramp from the autobahn to Liege three times before figuring in out.




|||



Moet is written with two dots above the E, signaling the change from the ay pronunciation to the ET. There are words in French that follow this ruel, but I can%26#39;t speak to their orgins. This is a language full of exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment